We get several inquiries each year, from interested parties who have never worked with an event planner before. Regardless of the type of event you want to plan, hiring an event professional can help alleviate the stress and ensure that everything runs smoothly. However, one of the biggest questions that people have when considering an event planner is whether they can afford one. In this blog post, we’ll explore the costs of hiring an event planner and provide some guidance on whether it’s worth it for you.
What Do Event Planners Do?
Before we dive into the cost, let’s briefly touch on what an event planner does. An event planner is responsible for managing all aspects of your event, from the initial planning stages to the final execution.
Some things Event Planners Do:
- Finding and booking a venue
- Securing vendors (such as caterers, entertainer, photographers, registration staff and so much more)
- Building menus, show flows and production schedules
- Managing budgets, staffing and payments
- Building event branding & strategy (and sometimes marketing)
- Ensuring that the event runs smoothly.
- We wrote about this topic last month, check out this post on what is an event planner?
What Are the Costs of Hiring an Event Planner?
The cost of hiring an event planner varies depending on a number of factors, including the location of the event, the complexity of the event, and the experience and expertise of the planner. Some planners charge a flat fee, while others charge a percentage of the total budget. Here are a few general guidelines to give you an idea of what to expect:
For weddings, wedding planners typically charge anywhere from $1,500 to $10,000, with the average cost falling between $2,500 and $5,000. But this is dependent of the size and complexity of the wedding. Many wedding planners offer day of activation services that help ensure your wedding day is stress free.
For corporate events, event planners may charge a flat fee or a percentage of the total budget, which can range from $5,000 to $100,000 or more. Again, depending on the size and complexity of the event or events and if they run over a number of days / venues etc.
For smaller events, such as personal parties or anniversary celebrations, or for consulting event planners may charge an hourly rate, which can range from (depending on their experience level and what is required) $75 to $250 per hour.
Is Hiring an Event Planner Worth the Cost?
Now that you have an idea of what an event planner does and how much they typically charge, the question remains: Is it worth it for you?
Here are a few factors to consider when determining the cost of an event planner:
- Your budget: If you’re on a tight budget, hiring an event planner may not be feasible. However, if you have some flexibility in your budget, an event planner can help you save money by negotiating with vendors , leveraging their relationships and ensuring that you’re not overspending in any one area.
- Your time: Planning an event can be incredibly time-consuming, especially if you’re not familiar with the process. Hiring an event planner can free up your time and allow you to focus on other aspects of your life.
- Your stress level: Planning an event can be stressful. There is a reason that event planners are listed constantly year after year in the top 10 most stressful careers, especially if you’re juggling a lot of other responsibilities. Hiring an event planner can help alleviate some of that stress and ensure that everything runs smoothly on the day of the event.
- Your experience: If you’ve planned events before and feel comfortable doing so, you may not need an event planner. However, if you’re new to event planning or are planning a particularly complex event, an event planner can provide invaluable expertise and guidance.
So, Can You Afford an Event Planner?
We think that hiring an event planner can be a great investment, especially if you have some flexibility in your budget and are looking to save time and reduce stress. If you would like to submit a request for an event proposal please do so here! If you are looking for more info on hiring an event planner, we would love to chat more, reach out to us at email@example.com