SHHHHHH can you keep a secret?!
As we head into the holiday event planning season here in Calgary, I decided to pull a page out of my little black book and talk about one of my secret weapons in my event tool box – event lighting.
While you may never really noticed it, until it’s really done well – lighting has been and continues to be one of those layered touches. I have used it to elevate many of the events I’ve planned. In Calgary, hands down my favourite lighting provider is Orange Frog Productions. I asked the wildly talented and creative Pierre Marleau if he would contribute to this week’s blog as he has taken my events from beautiful to wow – simply with the use of light!
Orange Frog Productions
Q – How many events do you work on a year?
A – We work on 150 to 200 different events a year.
Q – For those planners who are new to working with a lighting designer, what type of budgets do you work within?
A – We work within budgets that range from $2500 TO $100K (for lighting).
Q – What three things do you think every event should incorporate in terms of lighting?
A – 1) Lighting the food and food stations
2) Creating highlights the guests can focus on
3) Making lighting an active part of the decor concept and budget.
4) some extra advice – stop using LED blue wall up light
Q – Could you share three upcoming trends?
A – 1) Consider using geometric shapes projections/ gobos
2) Use non LED fixtures to create a softer look
3) Incorporate pastel color, like blush or off white.
Q – What are three of the most cost effective things you can do at your next event to elevate the look and feel with lighting?
A – 1) Light the speaker at the stage
2) Light the entire table instead of just pin spotting the centre piece
3) Choose a venue with dim-able lighting and bring down the intensity, if you are unable to afford lighting
I believe that a lighting designer is essential to every “special event”, as is working with an event planner. To talk about your special event, contact Jennifer James (403)294-1644 or email Jennifer@jenniferjamesevents.com
To learn more about event lighting you can reach Pierre and his talented team at www.orangefrogproductions.ca!